Sunday, May 6, 2012

HOW TO PRACTICE FORGIVENESS
When a person forgives another, he is promising to do three things about the intended wrongdoing: not to use it against the wrongdoer in the future; not to talk about it to others; and not to dwell on it himself.  Jay Adams
a.    Realize you cannot forgive without God’s help.
John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
b.    Forgive others as an act of your will, not as a reaction of your feelings.
              Three-step process:
1)    FACT – You are commanded by God to forgive.  So, the question, “Should I forgive”, is irrelevant.
2)    FAITH – My faith to forgive is based on His commandment to            forgive, not a feeling.  God will give you the strength.  Forgiveness is done as an act of your will.
3)    FEELING – Once you make the decision to forgive by faith, then your feelings will follow.
c.    Do not base your forgiving on the attitude of the wrongdoer or offender.
d.    Remind yourself of your own need of forgiveness.
Rom 5:6-8 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
e.    Go to the Great Forgiver and release the wrongdoer in prayer. 

            A Prayer To Forgive Someone Who Has Wronged You: 
Father, I come to you in the name of Jesus.  I thank you for the forgiveness you have extended to me because of Christ’s shed blood.  I realize my continued need of forgiveness as a believer, because of my own sin and many shortcomings.  I also realize that I would be sinning against You if I refuse to forgive others who have sinned against me.  Therefore, in obedience to You and by an act of my own will and not my feelings, I forgive ___________ .  I release them from my self-made prison.  I have no right to get even; for all vengeance belong to You.  I thank you Lord for giving me the power to forgive them in Jesus’ name,  Amen.

No comments: