Friday, December 5, 2008

EATING ACORNS AND SHARING THE GOSPEL



Would you eat this? Yes, it's an acorn. Again, would you eat it? "I would if I were starving," you might say. If you were a guest at some one's home and they were eating acorns and were kind enough to offer one to you, would you eat it? "Probably not," might be your answer.

One day a friend of mine went street witnessing with a church group at a local housing project. He came across a group of kids playing outside. As he approached them, he noticed one small kid was eating acorns. As he proceeded to share the Gospel with them, the kid, very innocently, offered him an acorn. Without thinking, my friend took the acorn and ... Gulp. The taste? It was awful. Yet, he did not gag, frown or spit. Most importantly, he kept sharing the Gospel.

As my friend shared his experience with me, I thought to myself, "What a small price to pay in order to share the Gospel." You see, what my friend and I knew intuitively, is that we are not only called to verbally share the Gospel, but to also identify when needed with those to whom we share it. Paul, in his second letter to the Corinthians, chapter 9, verses 21-23 stated, "To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law. To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings." (ESV)

So, eating an acorn is not all that terrible in light of the eternal consequences. Go ahead, take the plunge. You just might acquire the taste.

No comments: